Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22, 2012 - Day #2 Without Oxygen!

Aiden at the hospital
I'm dead tired, but I couldn't go to bed without updating the blog with our family's recent developments. I'm back in school full-time. I changed my major from Computer Science to Biology and am working on my prerequisites for dental school. Since I was laid off from my job in January, I haven't had much luck getting a job in computers, so I figured I had better do something else with my life. It's not exactly the course I envisioned my life taking, but I'm gradually getting used to the idea. And as I get used to it, I am getting more and more excited about it. Anyway, this summer is a nightmare because I'm taking both the Physics and Chemistry Series in the condensed block program. It will put me a year ahead if I can make it through, but it's stretching me to the limit.

Amaraa is doing hair and other services in our salon at our house again. Aiden has been doing better recently and he's a little bit easier to take care of now, so that allows her to be able to do it. And with me in school full-time, the money doesn't hurt.

Skylar's finishing up first grade. Only one more week to go!  Jasmine is having fun playing with her friends in the neighborhood and she's growing like a weed. She keeps us laughing, that's for sure.


Aiden breathing without a cannula
Aiden was doing really well until about two weeks ago. He was able to go for short periods without his oxygen and one time even went about 45 minutes. We were really encouraged and he seemed to really be improving. About two weeks ago, he started with a little cough which gradually grew worse. We took him to church with us for the first time on the 13th. We didn't let him interact with other kids or anything, but he did really well. His cough got worse and worse and we kept having to turn his oxygen concentration up so he could breathe. Last Friday night, he had a miserable night. We decided to take him in to the Instacare on Saturday. The doctor took one look at him and said "get this kid to the hospital." We took him to UVRMC and they admitted him. It was the same scenario as the last time he was in the hospital in January. They gave him a bunch of breathing treatments and watched him closely for a couple of days. We took him in at just the right time and they were able to get ahead of the problem before it became serious. Yesterday, he was doing so well that they took him off his oxygen. He did fine without it and so they left it off. They discharged him this afternoon and we brought him home -- WITHOUT OXYGEN!  You can't believe what a huge thing that is. He may need to go back on it periodically, but he is doing great!  We're just watching him close and hoping for the best. If he can breathe without the oxygen, he can start living like a normal little boy. We are so excited for him!

2 comments:

  1. That is so amazing! I will keep my fingers and toes crossed. What a wonderful development for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! I'm so glad he's feeling better and that he doesn't have to be on his oxygen! He will be so free! That's WONDERFUL!

    ReplyDelete